wine/problem with sound interference

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sat Mar 31 22:07:54 CST 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Peter Petersen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Well, if more recent versions don't have this little problem, I will
> do.

I don't know.  What is the harm to try?  Yes, wine does rather eat hd
space to build.

> At the moment, I have two versions I use, one from mid 2000 and the
> older one is really, well, very old... (It doesn't even give me an
> option like wine --version).
>
> But the reason for the occasional use of the early version is
> socksifying Forte Agent (to reach one legitimate newsserver account of
> mine that I can't reach with certain dial-ups, which is too stupid).
>
> Okay, this is now a completely different topic:
> But why can't wine be socksified any longer (for quite some time now)?
> I remember someone (long ago) asking the same question, and yes, I
> would also like to know about the latest "socksifiable" version of
> wine (to use it in connection with "runsocks"), or are more recent
> versions again socksifiable?
>
> So to resume my two questions are:
> - is that little sound conflict problem gone with the most recent
> versions?

Probably, but read the WARRANTY.  :-)

> - and more important to me:
> Which one is the latest version of wine which can be socksified?
> (I have access to a shell account and my own socks server there, and I
> have a newsserver account which I could (legitimately) reach that way,
> but not with a not local dial-up, this is so crazy (being forced to
> use my more expensive local dial-up just to be able to post on my
> newsserver etc.).

What do you mean, socksified?  As I understand it, wine's windocks are
implemented as linux sockets, so if you get your linux machine online,
your wine applications are too.  If, for instance, I run telnet.exe
on one machine, and connect to another linux machine on the local
network, that works, because the linux machines are connected by
ethernet, and the linux system administrators (me) allow it. telnet.exe
is a pretty lame telnet client, BTW, but I can log in and do casual
work.  Maybe somebody who knows winsocks would like to take a swat at
this one.  AFAICT, inetd and telnetd on witsend can not tell if they are
responding to a telnet client on giftie using linux sockets, or
telnet.exe in wine using winsocks.

> thanks
> and best regards
> Peter

Lawson

If you don't want my peaches, then don't shake my tree.
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.