SoundBlaster Live

gerard patel g.patel at
Thu Oct 25 07:35:00 CDT 2001

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:37:23 +1000, Pete <kookey42 at>

>I last saw this problem in a thread in this newsgroup a couple of years
>ago, but there was no solution then.
>It was then stated that you couldn't get a SoundBlaster Live sound card to
>work under Wine because Windows 'ran' everything through the emu10k1.vxd
>file and Wine did not support vxd files.
>Is this still the case?

>Has anyone found a workaround yet?

Well, use an unix driver : using a SoundBlaster
is common these days with recent version of
Linux, the driver is even named emu10k :-)

Some features are not yet available in all cases I
think (recording in DirectSound) but this has nothing
to do with vxd support (I am certain that even 2 years
ago it was clearly stated that Wine would never
support these - now finally obsolete - things)