Newbe Question

Jim Turner turnerj at lapdog.lmtas.lmco.com
Thu Sep 6 15:09:06 CDT 2001

gerard patel <g.patel at wanadoo.fr.invalid> wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2001 13:39:20 GMT, Jim Turner <turnerj at lapdog.lmtas.lmco.com>
> wrote:

>>	Greetings,
>>
>>Can anyone tell me what to do about "Can't open MIDI device '/dev/sequencer'!
>>(No such device): Load MIDI sequencer kernel driver !" ?
>>
>>Is there a way to do this without recompiling my kernel?  I have sound
>>working for everything else.  I get this message whenever I try to run
>>any M$-Office app, such as M$-Word.  Lotus Notes v5, et. al. work fine.

> Are you sure that you need to play Midi sounds in MsWord
> and Lotus Notes ? Why not ignore this message ?

	No, I don't need sound, but the app only shows the tiny splash
screen, then it locks up with wine appearing to be stuck in a loop
and redisplaying this message and nothing else!  I just assumed that the
app would not continue to load unless it can access /dev/sequencer.
BTW, I am running Mandrake 7.2, kernel 2.2.17 and Wine 20000909 (the one
that came with Mandrake.

	Thanks again,

	Jim