win32:DEVICE_Open Unknown VxD A:. Try --winver nt40 or win31 !

Marc MERLIN marc_wine at merlins.org
Thu Sep 20 16:46:58 CDT 2001

Hi,

I was hoping  to use wine to  run one of those stupid  windows binaries that
generate a floppy (at  least IBM has a clue, and also  offers the raw floppy
image for dd-ing)

In this case, the culprit is seagate's seatools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

I installed wine under debian  unstable (Version: 0.0.20010824-1) and when I
run the windows binary under wine, it runs but fails to write the floppy and
wine fails with:
trace:file:CreateFileA \\.\A: QUERY_ACCESS FILE_SHARE_READ FILE_SHARE_WRITE OPEN_EXISTING
fixme:win32:DEVICE_Open Unknown VxD A:. Try --winver nt40 or win31 !

The only replaceable DLL wine loads  is advapi32.dll, and I tried to provide
one from w2k and win98 ("advapi32" = "native, builtin") but it didn't help.

Of course, changing the version of windows (--winver) didn't help either

Is it a piece of  wine that is still missing or is there  a way to make this
work?

Thanks
Marc