Wine-20010824 problems with wineinstall and loading windows DLL's

Robin Roevens Robin.Roevens at yucom.be
Wed Sep 26 07:53:34 CDT 2001

>>ERROR: No win.ini found in DOS partitions
>>

> Well, the question is now : is there a win.ini in
> /windows/windows ?

Like you can see here:
---
bash-2.05$ locate win.ini
/windows/Program Files/WinZip/win.ini
/windows/windows/win.ini

---

> Wine is trying to read at the offset 231421 for 4096 bytes - I think
> that cw3230.dll should be bigger than that.. Hmm the one I have on
> my computer is 229000 bytes. Strange. Maybe your version of
> cw3220.dll is more recent hence bigger.
> All I can say is that my cw3220.dll is loading fine under current
> Wine.

This is my cw3230.dll, like you see, mine is 303104 bytes.
-rwxrwxrwx  303104 Mar 24  1997 /windows/promedia/cw3230.dll

But the thing is, I have it with almost every program that tries to load
an external DLL

> If this is a regression it could be possible to find the exact date -
> see documentation/cvs-regression.
>
> But this could be also a change in the system as you certainly
> were not running Slack 8.0 3 years ago.

Indeed, I think it was some Redhat version, I think 6.1 or something
like that..

> I suspect that it could be a system bug or something strange that
> you are running in your system -  I still remember this guy who
> had patched his kernel and forgotten this small detail in his
> post here :-)

I wouldn't know, I am using the standard 2.4.5 kernel without SCSI
support from the slack 8 ISO. Andby my knowing, I don't have strange
modules loaded which could give this kind of effect to wine.

> Or you can try a strace to find the exact system call that is
> failing.

I don't know anything about strace and to work with it, I tried strace
wine itt.exe and These are the lastest messages I got :

---
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [RT_0], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [HUP INT ALRM IO], [RT_0], 8) = 0
write(6, "g\0\0\0$n\0\0x[\3@@\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\0\0\0d_\1@\7\0\0"...,
64) = 64
read(8, "g\0\0\0$n\0\0\0\0\0\0@\0\0\0\177\0\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 64)
= 64
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [RT_0], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [HUP INT ALRM IO], [RT_0], 8) = 0
write(6, "\30\0\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0\0\0\4\0\0\0\224k]@\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"...,
64) = 64
read(8, "\30\0\0\0\0\0\4\0\3\1\0\0\4\0\0\0\224k]@\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 64)
= 64
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [RT_0], NULL, 8) = 0
read(10, fixme:pthread_kill_other_threads_np
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_rdlock
FIXME:pthread_rwlock_unlock
err:module:map_image Could not map section .idata, file probably truncated
err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) cw3230.DLL needed by
C:\promedia\itt.exe not found
0x405d6b64, 8)                 = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) ---
read(10, "\0\0\0\0\3\1\0\0", 8)         = 8
close(6)                                = 0
_exit(0)                                = ?
---

Can you make anything of it?

Robin