wine reports wrong version

Andreas Mohr Usenet 08/01 vooe7o001 at
Fri Sep 28 05:02:34 CDT 2001

lawson_whitney at wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Praedor Tempus wrote:

>> I have been running, first, codeweaver's wine and, just recently I built
>> and installed wine-20010918-1.  Nonetheless, no matter which version I have
>> had, doing a "wine --version" produces "Wine release 20010824".

> That is correct.  wine --version reports the ftp release of
> Wine.  Unless I missed a letter from wine-announce, 20010824 is the most
> recent ftp release of Wine.  And I missed the letter in wine-cvs with a
> url to a patch file that changed ANNOUNCE and version.h (and ChangeLog).

To the original author:
please contact the author of this wine build that is obviously a daily CVS
build, and make sure that he adds a clear statement about the UNOFFICIAL
status (i.e. it's not a "standard" release build) to his web page
in order to avoid future confusion about this.

Andreas Mohr, Renningen, Germany
In case you need to contact me after expiry of temporary email address:
my real address is (initial of first name).(last name)