regedit problems

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 08:34:28 CDT 2002

--- lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, phrostie wrote:
>
> > i'm trying to clean up my error messages on Wine
> stuff.
> > one that has come up before was the one about
> >
> > ERROR: You need to merge the 'winedefault.reg'
> file into your
> >        Wine registry by running: `regedit
> winedefault.reg'
> >
> > i found the directory/file regedit and the
> winedefault.reg.
> > i ran

$/home/wine.alpha/wine-20020509/programs/regedit/regedit
> > windows/wine-20010510/winedefault.reg
>
> Try using -- between regedit and winedefault.reg.
> Also, you may need to
> use the Windows path for winedefault.reg (somebody
> fixed it to link with
> msvcrt instead of libc, so it doesn't do unix paths
> any more.

Phrostie, what version of Wine do you use?
regedit was updated to use msvcrt not long time ago. I
think phrostie uses much earlier version of Wine, and
it linked against libc. It seems our msvcrt can use
Unix paths. This works for me:
$ /prj/wine/programs/regedit/regedit /e
/home/apalamarchuk/1.reg

>  >
> > and got
> > Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or
> directory), ignoring drive A:
> > Could not stat /mnt/cdrom (No such file or
> directory), ignoring drive D:

/home/wine.alpha/wine-20020509/programs/regedit/regedit:
> cannot determine
> > executable type for
> 'C:\windows\wine-20010510\winedefault.reg'
> >
> > regedit seems to be a link back to wine.  is this
> correct?
> > did i screw something up again?
> > there is a directory with an executable regedit.so
> and some other stuff but
> > regedit seems to be linked back to wine.

In the current version of Wine regedit is a link to
winewrapper, but the situation you described was true
for older Wine.

Andriy

Boston, MA