make works but make install fails

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Fri Feb 15 11:11:20 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:02:04PM +0100, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > Doing a make install gives the following error:
> >
> > ------------------- snip -------------------
> > Wine build complete.
> > cd `dirname debugger/__install__` && make install
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/wine/debugger'
> > [ -d /usr/local/bin ] || mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
> > /usr/bin/install -c winedbg.so /usr/local/bin/winedbg.so
> > cd /usr/local/bin && rm -f winedbg && cp wine winedbg
> > cp: cannot stat `wine': No such file or directory
> > make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/wine/debugger'
> > make: *** [debugger/__install__] Error 2
> > ------------------- snap -------------------
> >
> > I compiled wine with the options
> >
> > ./configure --disable-debug --enable-opengl
> >
> > so I am not sure if it should even try to install the wine debugger. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention: the version is today's CVS checkout.
>
> Regards, Frank

make install is temporarily broken.  give it a leg up by installing the
wine binary by hand:
su -c "install wine /usr/local/bin/wine"

You know what I mean by su -c, right?  Who runs the install/uninstall
needs permission to write in /usr/local/.

then go ahead with "make install".  You will get warnings from ldconfig,
but AFAICS the installed Wine will work.  Works for me, anyway.

Lawson

Anarchy now!  Anarchy immediately!  Anarchy by Thursday!