Wizardry 8

Hilko Bengen bengen at vdst-ka.inka.de
Wed Jan 2 22:57:27 CST 2002

I have spent the past few hours trying to get Wizardry 8 to run. Well,
it mostly works: The installer runs fine. I had to use a crack because
otherwise Wizardry complained about a debugger running. I have set it
up to use OpenGL graphics at 640x480x16 and "Miles Fast 2D Positional
Audio" for sound.

The movies get played, video and sound is properly synchronized, too.
I can create characters, the main screen with 3D scenery shows up,
just like I saw it in Windows 98.

The only thing that makes the game basically unplayable which I have
found so far is most probably an error in the mouse handling code.
When the left mouse button is pressed, more than one mouse-down event
seems to be generated. One can watch this behavior with the "Magic",
"Use Item" and "Search mode" buttons, as well as in the pop-up window
that pops up when a trunk containing more than one item is opened:
Those buttons are triggered twice most of the time. If one holds the
mouse button down in the trunk pop-up, the clicked item flickers

I am using XFree86 4.1.0 on Debian/unstable, my mouse is a Logitech
optical wheel mouse (driver IMPS/2) and tried the latest CVS of wine
as well as winex. Changing "DXGrab", "Managed", "Desktop" did not

I'd appreciate any help on debugging this problem.

"In this case the virus author chose to target Outlook probably
because it gave him better reach. There isn't a security vulnerability
in Outlook involed in this at all." -- Scott Culp, Microsoft security
program manager about ILOVEYOU