HalfLife on latest CVS

David Bronaugh dbronaugh at linuxboxen.org
Sat Oct 5 03:25:09 CDT 2002

On Sat, 05 Oct 2002 01:21:29 +0100 (BST)
Michael Pacey <michael at wd21.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Franky Van Liedekerke <liedekef at pandora.be>:
>
> > A search on "halflife linux" on google brought me to:
> >
> > http://www.thegamebox.net/files/Halflife/Linux/

Yep, the infamous dedicated server.

There was talk about someone borking up Q1 to make CS run under it, but as far as I know that's a dead project.

> As suspected, having downloaded hlds_l_3110_full.bin, extracted the code, read
> the readme and run the program, it appears this is the Half Life Dedicated
> Server (hlds).
>
> I couldn't find the client anywhere. If anyone knows different, please let me
> know. If anyone is successfully running Half Life under Wine, please let me know.

I got HL running under WINE about a year ago; after a while, the novelty of playing CS under Linux wore off and I rm -rf'd it.

It's not hard though; you just need to make sure you're using OpenGL and your wine is compiled with --enable-opengl

David Bronaugh