Printing with Wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Oct 23 15:23:30 CDT 2002

Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi Y'all.
>
> I'm a relative newcomer to Wine, never having done much more than play
> Freecell with it until now.
>
> But right now, I'm trying to get an old program - Claris Works 3 (pc
> version) working under it.  Everything is fine until I attempt to print
> with it - then, I get an error message saying that the printer cannot be
> found.
>
> The printing section of the Wine config file looks like this:
>
> [spooler]
> "LPT1:" = "|lpr"
> "LPT2:" = "|gs -sDEVICE=bj200 -sOutputFile=/tmp/fred -q -"
> "LPT3:" = "/dev/lp3"
>
> This is not a Claris Works specific problem.  Word can find the
> (windows) printer but states there is a problem with it and recommends
> re-installation. (There is no problem under Windows).
>
> I'd be prepared to settle for the ability to print to a postscript file
> that I can print out under linux.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 8.2 and running Codeweavers Wine build 20020904-7.

Is this a build that someone else made and you just installed? Unless
the print environment where the build was made matches your print
environment, the printing will not work. The best thing to do to make
printing work is to compile your own.

That really is not hard to do. Make sure to uninstall previous versions
of Wine before compiling and installing from source. Since you already
have configuration done, with a source package you should be able to
just do ./configure, make depends, make, make install, and be back up
and running.