Windows program detects debugger and quits

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Sat Oct 26 10:54:14 CDT 2002

On Saturday 26 October 2002 01:45, Paul wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2002 05:24 pm, Rizsanyi Zsolt wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 October 2002 00:50, Paul wrote:
> > > Thanks again for the response.
> > > The ACR disc is Safedisc 2 protected. I've used Winex to play a
> > > Safedisc2 protected game, so I understand that this is not an absolute
> > > limitation. Unfortunately, winex apparently doesn't have MDAC worked
> > > out (whatever that is) as the install crashes there.
> > >
> > > The document you sent suggests that safedisc 1 should work with the
> > > current wine version, and suggests trying different winverions. I
> > > edited my config file several times with different version but with no
> > > success. Error: A debugger has been detected. Unload debugger and try
> > > again.
> >
> > Current wine is not enough. You also need the patch for safedisc, which
> > was never applied to wine, because it has to be cleaned up before.
> > The patch was sent to wine-patches by Laurent Pinchart. But that patch
> > would not apply cleanly, because some things have changed in wine since
> > then.
> >
> > I have made the necessary changes to apply it to current cvs, I could
> > send you the patch.
> > Just you will have to wait some days till I get a definite answer to my
> > question on wine-devel. Currenlty I have a cvs conflict and I would like
> > to resolve it the correct way, and hope the help of the wine gurus for
> > that.
> >
> > Do you use cvs? Can the patch be against cvs or should be against a
> > release?
> >
> > > I'm not sure if installing with wine and running with winex would be
> > > very easy to do.
> >
> > That would not be that hard, but requires quite much work (making a
> > config file for wine which uses the root dir of winex).
> >
> > Regards
> > Zsolt
>
> My version of Wine is just the standard downloaded package
> (Wine-20021007.tar.gz) compiled and installed with the winetools script
> provided.  I have never used CVS or patched anything for that matter. I
> would love to give this a try when you are ready, but would also request
> instructions on how to patch, recompile and install the new version. I am
> sure its not too difficult, but I'm definitely an end user rather than a
> programmer.

Here is the patch (safedisc.patch).

And here are the instructions:
Since the patch is against current cvs you will have to update your
downloaded package (or you could wait for the next wine release).

To get a patch of the difference beetween your release and cvs wine you
need to run the next command, which will download the difference:
cvs -d :pserver:cvs:cvs at cvs.winehq.org:/home/wine rdiff -u -r Wine-20021007 wine > wine-cvsdiff.patch

Probably the easiest is to extract the sources again, and then go to the dir:
tar xfz Wine-2002...
cd wine

Then patch:
patch -p1 < /path/to/patch/wine-cvsdiff.patch
patch -p0 < /path/to/patch/safedisc.patch

After that you should do the compilation and installation as you have done without the patching.

Do not forget, if .wine/config has winver=nt40 and that the cd is mounted.

Then your program should run.

Write if you have any problems.

Regards
Zsolt