accessing parallel port dongle

Matt Ficken mattficken at mail.com
Thu Aug 21 03:23:58 CDT 2003

I'm trying to get a legacy app called 'PcScribe' (designed for Win3.1) to run on Linux.
PcScribe is a program used to control a special ISA card that produces TV graphics for
low-end TV stations and other video proffessionals.

I can run PcScribe through Wine, but when it starts up, PcScribe displays an error message because it
can't find/access a special dongle that is supposed to be attached to the parallel port to provide timing signals. I don't believe that the dongle-timer can be accessed through a device like /dev/lp0, because the dongle allows a parallel device to be plugged into it to avoid hogging the parallel port.

PCScribe does have an INI file through which I can tell it the IRQ of the ISA card, but doesn't seem to have a way to tell it how to access the dongle (most PCs only have 1 parallel port, so it probably wasn't programmed with it).

Is there a standard windows library for accessing a parallel port dongle?
If yes, how can I make it work in Wine? Wine can redirect M$ ports like COM1 to UNIX devices like /dev/ttyS0, can this be done in this case for the parallel port dongle?

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers