Running Virtualdub in a fake windows installation

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 05:55:54 CST 2003

 --- Ronald Castillo <ronaldace2 at cantv.net> wrote:
> what do you mean by "zillions of bytes"?

Well, full-frame (704x576) raw RGB video comes out at
about 25MB/s; other frame sizes would be 3 * x * y * f
bytes/sec where x,y are the size in pixels and f is
the frame rate in fps. Even for short clips of a few
minutes you could be looking at several gigs, though.

> Or maybe you could tell me any Linux native program
> I could use.. My plan is
> to compress Divx or MPG movies into Divx of smaller
> file size

I'd suggest mencoder, part of the mplayer project
(www.mplayerhq.hu) - that will decode almost anything,
using either native codecs or Windows DLLs, then you
can encode with divx4linux, opendivx or libavcodec's
MPEG4 implementation. You can decode, scale and
re-encode in one operation (optionally using 2-pass
encoding).

Stephen