How to configure printers (newbie question)

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:42:19 CDT 2003

(please respond in the newsgroup)

Peter Stokes wrote:
> Hi Duane
>
> I am using 9.1MDK which I believe has CUPS setup and from Linux eg
> Evolution it works fine. So I guess I am missing this PPD thing, which I
> can find a hp.exe on the Adobe site, but not specifically my printer.
> Now I have a test PPD file, where do I put it etc.

CUPS has it's own PPD files, and those should be used automatically. You
should not have to do anything with them. You only need to bother with
PPD files if using non-CUPS printing.

> If you can help it woul be most useful. Also how to pipe output through
> to ghostscript to generate PCL output which my printer uses.

If you have CUPS, then Wine prints through that. CUPS will handle piping
through the appropriate filter (I use CUPS and a PCL printer).

In order to use CUPS, Wine needs to be compiled with CUPS support. If
the printers do not even show up in the print dialog, then I would guess
that you have a Wine version without CUPS support compiled in. You might
mention where you got the version of Wine you are using.

You could try compiling yourself (really fairly easy), or get one of the
RPMs from
I am guessing those were compiled with CUPS support, though I don't
actually know for sure. I compile from CVS.