Socket problems. . .

dwbrown at webitplanet.com dwbrown at webitplanet.com
Mon Jun 30 15:12:59 CDT 2003

Alex Harris writes:

> 	I'm new to wine, so I'm kind of stumbling around in the dark trying to
> make heads or tails of the documentation. I'm trying to get a working
> installation of wine and I'm having some troubles.
> 	I've tried downloading the source and using the wineinstall script and
> that has stopped at several different spots with errors that I don't
> understand, the last one was Error 2, this during the compile stage.
> 	However, what I'm trying to figure out now is what the fuck is this
> socket thing? When I try to run wine I get the following error message:
>
> wine: lstat /tmp/.wine-aharris/server-301-829b5/socket : No such file or
> directory
>
> 	I've tried creating a blank file in that spot, but that gives me this
> error:
>
> wine: '/tmp/.wine-aharris/server-301-829b5/socket' is not a socket
>
> 	What is a socket and how do I put one in the appropriate spot?
>
> Thanks in advance. :-)

Hello Alex, I'm not a wine expert but I do know unix. You were guessing
right but a socket is a special file that is not a disk file even though it
appears to be visible in a directory.  A socket in this case is opened
namely by the wine server in an effort to establish communications with the
target wine application and of course the unix or Linux OS. Evidently, you
need to review you install but also you can debug examining the unix/Linux
system log files. In the case of Linux a system log might be:
/var/log/messages. Also, review the wine doco on where specialized log files
might be created and archived as the wine server performs functions over
time. Hope this helps, David.