AOL on Linux

Linux World 999 linuxworld999 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 10:21:30 CST 2003

Hello.  I am a newbie to wine.  In my local area, the only way to have unmetered access to th internet is to use AOL.  After some research on the internet, it gas come to light that some linux users have managed to install AOL's version 5.0 of their software to access AOL.

Following these instructions, AOL5 is installed on my computer.  The command "wine setup32.exe" was run.  AOL5 has been installed.  On launching the program, the login screen appears.  However, the software is unable to access the modem and establish a connection.

Is it possible to access AOL in this way?  Does anyone have a better Solution.

I have downloaded and compiled Penggy.  However, this allows browser and non-AOL mail access but not access to their computing chat channel which I use a lot.  If Penggy has a connection to AOL the AOL front end does not connect at all.  Probably becase Penggy is already connected and two connections are not permitted by AOL.  Is there a workaround this?

Any help will be appreciated.

LinuxWorld999
Registered Linux User #305521
http://counter.li.org