wine and device installation?

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 16 08:32:21 CDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:03:20 +0200, you wrote:

> the S7 also has an ethernet jack so that i could connect it to my PC via
> ethernet cable. under windows, i simply load the program, then choose
> the connection method, and, if an ethernet adapter is installed, i can
> select it... which is my problem under wine: i have no ethernet adapter
> "installed" as i would have it under windows, and since this device is
> not present, i can't select it.
>
> ah, so the question really is: how can i "trick" the application into
> thinking an ethernet adapter is present? as far as i know, the app only
> requires the device driver to be present, and doesn't require any
> additional protocols (such as TCP/IP)...
>
> any ideas or suggestions?

I did not know, but a quick Google showed that (not unusual) Windows
programmers may use at least half a dozen way of detecting that an
adapter is present.

Best guess is with the iphlpapi. Run with WINEDEBUG=+iphlpapi wine ...
If there are iphlpapi trace's, post them.

If not, it is possible it tries to get the information from the
registry. Run wine with the +relay debug channel, and look at suspicious
registry entries that are queried ("ethernet", "adapter", "device" etc.)

Other traces that might give a clue are winsock (WINEDEBUG=+winsock),
com (WINEDEBUG=+ole).

If your program can be downloaded somewhere, enter an bug report in
wine's bugzilla (http://bugs.winehq.org) and give the programs URL.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes