[Wine]Re: Wine on Cygwin

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Thu Aug 26 22:52:03 CDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:33:27AM -0400, Gordon R. Keehn wrote:
> Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
>
> >>Has anyone infos on this?
> >
> >The core of wine (wineserver/kernel32.dll/ntdll.dll and so on)
> >will never build on cygwin because those parts use unix APIs to work. The
> >user
> >space part already compile, you can
> >get them from our download page in the section "win32 packages"
> >http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241
> >but they won't be of much use to you unless you're a developer.
> >
> >Ivan.
>
> Hi, Ivan
>      Forgive me if I'm missing something basic, but I thought that was
> the whole idea of cygwin?

I believe that was.  But I haven't had much luck compiling stuff with
it, but then again, I already had a dual-boot linux system, so why use
Cygwin in the first place, and download libraries I already had in
Linux?

Kind of redundant, seeing as wine doesn't work 100% yet, but I guess it
might have some use as a testing thing.  Does MinGW work either?
Because that would theoretically give the same idea --
Windows>Wine>App.exe (except that Wine would be built as a Win32 exe).

If you don't know, I see no problem with you trying anyways, but make
sure you have all the required libs and gcc and whatnot.  You'll also
need X packages.  However, I believe that cygwin was a very... unsual
and heavily modified linux-style setup.  I'm not even sure if it uses a
proper gcc (i.e. *NOT* "2.96") -- maybe I'll check sometime.  Good luck,
if you attempt it.