[Wine]School Software with WINE

Mitchel Constantin mitcheloc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 04:13:17 CST 2004

Hello,

The network administrators for the school I work for have recent left
and also left the network in a rather large mess. There are files such
as pictures being stored in random folders on random computers all
around the network leaving valuable data vulnerable. I'm hoping to
move over from the older windows system to a new linux based thin
client configuration with ltsp. So far I am using SUSE 9.1 to test and
everything runs great as far as this is concerned.

The problem runs in that the school requires a certain piece of
software that they use to manage their business processes (attendance,
billing, etc). I've been playing with WINE and have come very close to
getting the system to work. The software has been running on a Windows
95 computer quite well and so I copied over the application directory
and then through a lot of trial and error I settled on what I believe
to be the right DLLs that were necessary from the Windows\System32
directory from one of our Windows 95 computers.

The native DLLs that I'm trying to use are: msvbvm60.dll,
oleaut32.dll, msvcrt20.dll, rpcrt4.dll, netapi.dll, netbios.dll,
oleaut32.dll, rpcrt4.dll, ole32.dll, netapi32.dll, msvcrt20.dll. The
wine version is 20040213 and was included with my distribution.

This is an error I get when running the notepad that is included with
wine. Notepad will start and seems to run perfectly though.

This is what I get from having all of the above files in the folder:
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare # wine PRO32.exe
Could not stat /media/floppy (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
Could not stat /media/cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive M:
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 96 bytes in thread 0015 eip
40076a15 esp 40590fa0 stack 0x40590000-0x40690000
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare #

If I remove the netapi.dll, the netbios.dll, and the netapi32.dll
files I will get this:
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare # rm NET
NETAPI.DLL    NETAPI32.DLL  NETBIOS.DLL
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare # rm NET* -f
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare # ls
.          BAKPR.INI    MSVBVM60.DLL  PRO32.EXE     PROPR.INI
PRO_PR32.EXE  RDini         index.html.1
..         CHECK32.EXE  MSVCRT20.DLL  PROAP.INI     PRO_AP32.EXE
PocketPC      REPAIR32.EXE  msvcrt.dll
BAKAP.INI  Help         OLE32.DLL     PROAR.INI     PRO_AR32.EXE
ProCare.INI   RPCRT4.DLL
BAKAR.INI  Install      OLEAUT32.DLL  PROCBT32.EXE  PRO_IR32.EXE
ProCare.INI~  VISDATA.EXE
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare # wine PRO32.exe
Could not stat /media/floppy (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
Could not stat /media/cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive M:
fixme:file:DeviceIoControl Unimplemented control 256 for VxD device NWLINK
suse:~/.wine/fake_windows/ProCare #