Guidance needed for FoxPro app

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Thu Feb 26 07:29:42 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 07:17, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 10:58, Rick Romero wrote:

> > > In general, to make Foxpro apps work, you must set in your
> [snip]
> >
> > Ahhh But he said Fox 2.6.  FPD2.6 is a DOS app.  It should run just fine
> > in Linux with the Solaris Runtime.  I have a copy on my website:
> > http://www.havokmon.com/stuff/workstuff/prg/solarisrt/
> >
> > I had written a FoxPro DOS/Unix app to dump out basic HTML on our Linux
> > webserver.  A Foxpro DOS "Web app".  So I don't have much experience
> > running UI stuff, but IIRC, it seemed to work alright.
>
> If it's a DOS app, couldn't he use dosemu instead?

I suppose, but FoxPro 2.6 came out in both DOS and SCO Unix (sorry,
thought it was Solaris before) versions.  An application written in DOS
is _supposed_ to work just fine in SCO Unix.  My web apps worked just
fine in both, I just had to adjust the paths. My app is:
http://www.havokmon.com/stuff/workstuff/prg/funky/testitok.prg
I developed it in Windows/DOS, and ran it on Linux with the ibcs module.

I do remember getting the ANSI stuff working as well, but I didn't have
anything with a DOS UI that I could really play with.  Most of my
concern with it was keeping the ANSI stuff from outputting to the web
browser (I just ended up putting !-- tags around the start and finish of
the app).

Offhand, the only other thing I can think of that might need some
testing is printing.  A lot of Foxpro guys just copy to LPT1.

IMHO, if you can run it 'native' instead of running through any sort of
translation at runtime, might as well go that route.. ;)

Rick

Rick Romero
IT Manager
Valeo, Inc.	ph: 262.695.4841