[Wine]Can't load X dll...

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Mon Jul 26 13:41:43 CDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 13:27, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Stefan Munz <stefan.munz at itomig.de> writes:
> >> [Version]
> >> ; Windows version to imitate
> >> (win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win2k3,win20,win30,win31)
> >> ;"Windows" = "win98"
> >> ; DOS version to imitate
> >> ;"DOS" = "6.22"
> >
> > you should remove ";" from the line starting "Windows" to set your win
> > version correctly (but this should not cause the problems with your
> > software)
>
> The latest versions of Wine default to Windows 98 anyway so this
> should no longer be necessary.
>
> > this looks ok. but I found out that LEAD40.dll needs a file called
> > lead.vbx in the same directory (program and/or windows/system dir).
> > if this file is available too, which should be because you use your
> > windows drive, you can:
> > (because I think this is a path issue) try to load some other dll native
> > i.e. advapi32.dll and look wether wine finds this dll.
> >
> > or (if nobody else has a better idea ;-):
> >
> > start over again with an empty fake_windows dir. then copy your program
> > dir from your windows drive, import your registry and (if needed) copy
> > dll files from the windows/system dir.
>
> It'd be far better to simply install it into a clean ~/.wine
> directory as generated by Wine. Is there a reason you're copying
> files from a real windows drive? If the installer doesn't work we
> might want to address that first.

The main reason I'm using that particular copied directory is, quite simply,
because it's there.  And overall, it works fine.  It has its own separate and
rather large partition, because I also keep quite a few MP3 files there (the
top directory is /windows, so the actual windows directory as set out in my
wine.conf is /windows/windows), but as far as wine goes, this is one of only
two programs that I have any trouble with since I installed the latest
version.  The other is Quicken 98, but I solved that by transferring my
checkbook to Gnucash :-)

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur