[Wine]starcraft fails right at the end of the install

Michael Chang michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sat Jul 31 10:28:46 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:21:30AM +0000, cedric wrote:
> Hi all i'm running wine 20040716, installed manualy, no wineinstall, blank
> windows drive, only the right dirs are present there, as i couldn't get
> regedit to make the default reg keys for me
>
> I tried to install starcraft, but right after it copied all the files it comes
> up with this error screen:
> Error:
> Unable to create a link to E:\Help\Star.htm as C:\Windos\start
> menu\programs\starcraft\help.lnk Installation aborted error 0: success at
> LinkUndo.cpp line 165.

I noticed this "error" with other programs.  Apparently, wine (or at
least this build) doesn't support creating links in the start menu, or
something along those lines -- it makes sence when you consider that
wine users shouldn't exactly see a point in "accessing" these windows
shortcuts.  However, your program's setup is finicky about being unable
to create shortcuts for the program, so you can't continue.  (Some
installs complain, but allow you to continue...)  Maybe wine-devel could
consider creating a stub, or just falsely return true to these calls?
Also, you might want to look at CVS code, to see if this has already
been implemented.  If all else fails, try looking at the M$ Windows
binaries/patches for win95 - i.e. DCOM, and MSI stuff, etc.  They
*might* help, but correct me if I'm wrong.

> After i click cancel all the starcraft files are deleted. After i tried again
> i killed wine without pressing cancel. All the starcraft files remain, but
> when i run the installer again it askes me to install the game instead of run,
> so i guess not all the regestry keys have been created. Also, when i try to
> run the game from the program files directory, sc complains about the cd not
> being present.

Setup Program probably creates shortcuts, then reg entries.  But since
it can't create shortcuts, it never creates the reg entries.  That's my
theory.  (See above.)  Most games are stupid in that they rely on their
registry entries to tell them that the program is installed, as opposed
to actually checking the filesystem.

> here are the errors wine gave me:
> bash-2.05b$ cd /mnt/cdrom/
> bash-2.05b$ wine INSTALL.EXE

Oh!  One more thing.  Your CD-Rom should be mounted to a dosdevice, and
you should/can execute it from there, I think.  So your first line
should/might say "cd /home/<user>/.wine/dosdevices/<cd>:".
(/home/cedric/.wine/dosdevices/e:)  Also, note that windows never had
case-sensitive names -- maybe bad program is causing errors by
Linux/wine being case sensitive?

> err:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory
> "/home/cedric/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts"
> Fontconfig error: line 24: not well-formed (invalid token)
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB copy
> fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB copy
> fixme:shell:Stream_WriteLocationInfo writing empty location info
> err:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory
> "/home/cedric/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts"
> Fontconfig error: line 24: not well-formed (invalid token)
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to extract icon.
> fixme:shell:Stream_WriteLocationInfo writing empty location info
> err:font:ReadFontDir Can't open directory
> "/home/cedric/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/Fonts"
> Fontconfig error: line 24: not well-formed (invalid token)
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to extract icon.
>
> And some random info:
> bash-2.05b$ ls -l ~/.wine/dosdevices/
> total 0
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users           8 Jul 11 10:22 a:: -> /dev/fd0
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          22 May 16 22:16 c:
> -> /storage/windows-drive
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          10 May 16 22:16 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          10 May 16 22:16 com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          10 May 16 22:16 com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          10 May 16 22:16 com4 -> /dev/modem
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users           2 Jul 11 10:53 d: -> /d
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          11 Jul 11 18:25 e: -> /mnt/cdrom/
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users          12 May 16 22:16 f: -> /home/cedric
> lrwxr-xr-x    1 cedric   users           8 May 16 22:16 lpt1 -> /dev/lp0
>
> bash-2.05b$ uname -a
> Linux lfs 2.6.7 #1 Sat Jun 26 14:30:34 Local time zone must be set--see zic
> manu i686 GenuineIntel unknown GNU/Linux
>
> bash-2.05b$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/specs
> Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared
> --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
> --enable-languages=c,c++ : (reconfigured) ../gcc-3.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr
> --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit
> --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c+
>
> Please CC me as i'm not a member of this list

I hope you don't mind me putting you in the To: line instead.