[Wine]starcraft fails right at the end of the install

cedric cedric.de.wijs at softhome.net
Sat Jul 31 17:25:24 CDT 2004

> I noticed this "error" with other programs.  Apparently, wine (or at
> least this build) doesn't support creating links in the start menu, or
> something along those lines -- it makes sence when you consider that
> wine users shouldn't exactly see a point in "accessing" these windows
> shortcuts.

When in windows a program can acces them, in wine it should too. Correct me if
i'm wrong, but we're not creating the perfect windows here, but a
bug-compitible one.

> > here are the errors wine gave me:
> > bash-2.05b$ cd /mnt/cdrom/
> > bash-2.05b$ wine INSTALL.EXE
>
> Oh!  One more thing.  Your CD-Rom should be mounted to a dosdevice, and
> you should/can execute it from there, I think.  So your first line
> should/might say "cd /home/<user>/.wine/dosdevices/<cd>:".
> (/home/cedric/.wine/dosdevices/e:)  Also, note that windows never had
> case-sensitive names -- maybe bad program is causing errors by
> Linux/wine being case sensitive?

I tried to launch it from the Program files, /mnt/cdrom , and the dosdevice,
no difference. (which is good, it shouldn't make any difference)

I have however been able to upgrade it to broodwar. Still refused to run, but
still nice it worked. I guess i'm only a no-cd patch away from sc on linux

> Just my two cents.  Hope I helped in any way possible.  Consider joining
> the wine-users/wine-devel lists, and taking part.  It's a good idea, and
> using e-mail filtering software like POPFile is easy; even the most
> inexperienced users can just mention noticed behaviour in Wine.  (Or,
> use internal filtering software in your e-mail client - 99% of wine
> e-mails already have [Wine] in their subject lines anyways.)

I am now a member of the list, so please dont cc (or to :-) )  me.

> Error messages are self-explainatory if you know how to read them. :)
indeed :)
Regards, cedric
--
The only dumb question is the one omitted

De enige domme vraag is degene die niet gesteld wordt