Getting DirectDraw to work

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at
Thu Mar 11 18:03:57 CST 2004

I've been trying to use Wine to play some DirectX games.  One in
particular is a shareware game with available source code,  ClonkPlanet ( ).  It was built with the DirectX 6 SDK.  The front
end loads all right,  but the engine croaks,  saying that it couldn't
initialize DirctX.  At the same time,  I get the following error-messages
from Wine:

$ wine Planet.exe
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsExW No matching mode found!

This is on a Redhat 9 WS system with locally-compiled Wine 0.0.20040121.
/etc/X11/XF86Config was produced by some autoconfiguration utility,  and
includes the following lines:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "RIVA TNT2"

I read somewhere that the nVidia driver doesn't do DRI because it has some
other way to do graphics.  Is there any otsome way to force Wine to do
software-only DirectX display?

resume at
PGP key at