[Wine]Crossover and Free/Wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Nov 4 13:20:32 CST 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Chris,
>    I understand your question, and to some extent I share your
> frustration. I don't exactly understand the relationship between the
> Crossover folks and the more general wine development community.

I would estimate that a majority of patches to the regular Wine are made
by Crossover folks. Go to the archives, by author,
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/10/author.html
and click on a few patches from the people who contribute significant
numbers of patches. And don't forget that Alexandre works for Crossover
(his patches do not appear in wine-patches).

My general impression is that there are groups of people that work on
particular parts of Wine. Crossover has put a lot of effort into office
applications and installers, but very little towards games. There is a
small group of people who have contributed virtually all the DirectX and
sound code.

The fundamental thing to keep in mind is that Wine is a gigantic
project, rivaling the Linux kernel I would guess. There are just a tiny
amount of active developers for such a large project. Without
Codeweavers, I doubt Wine would exist in anything like its current form.