[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Oct 16 13:06:14 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> If I'm running the older version and I have a .wine directory in
> place, and then I attempt to run the new version, what happens? Does
> it modify the old version's registry??

It adds entries, if this is the first time you have run the new version.
For example, look at the beginning of user.reg. You should find an
[Environment] key (in some cases, it might be found in system.reg).
Notice that the contents are much like what is found in the [wine]
section of the config file.

Once that information is in both places, when you run the old version of
Wine, it will get the information from the config file. When you run the
new version, it will get the information from the registry.

> If I start with the new version and then try to run the old version,
> does it automatically install old version entries into the config
> file???

The old information was not deleted from the config file. So there is no
need to reinsert it.

>>You say "I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to
>>believe I don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly".
>>But you don't mention what it was you are seeing.
>

> Well, the problem is in my original email. A long list of this error.
>
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
> addr 0xb7942bd2
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
> addr 0xb7942bd2
> (repeated many times)
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
> addr 0xb7942bd2
> err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
> addr 0xb7942bd2
>

> It worked earlier. I did some system updates which in the end included
> things like glib, glibc and xorg. These changes were supplied by their
> versions going stable in Gentoo's portage. I backed out of xorg and
> went back to the old version until I understand this. I've jsut backed
> out of glib and glibc.

I doubt those errors are the result of registry entries/config file
entries. There must be something else going on, though I have no idea what.

Some things to try. First, do any programs work with Wine? Does notepad
work? I guess (from looking at the website) that battery includes an
application program, in addition to the DLL? Does that application run
by itself?

Maybe try moving .wine to .wine.old, and rerun Wine and let it create a
brand new config and drive_c. Reinstall the battery program and see if
things work now.

If all else fails, try running wine like (assuming the bash shell):

WINEDEBUG=+relay wine battery &> wine.log

That will cause the program to run very slow, and can create a very
large file, possibly 100s of MBytes. Search through the file for the
first err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling, and post a couple hundred lines prior
to that.