[Wine]Debugging advice

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 17 02:25:20 CDT 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:25:23 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to debug a scientific / engineering application called SRIM
> (www.srim.org, particularly the batch-mode version of SRIM 2003 called
> "SRModule").  This is my first experience with a debugger like winedbg, so
> I am still learning how best to use it.
>
> My question for now is: given a known breakpoint, and a value to watch (in
> this case $ecx), is there an easy way to find the last instruction before
> the breakpoint that changed this value?  The only way I know of to do this
> so far is to set an earlier breakpoint and spend a whole lot of time stepping
> through instructions.

Not that I know of. You can disassemble the code before the breakpoint,
but if the code include jumps it takes a lot of interpretations.

(you are talking about stepping through the applications code I assume.
Wines code is easier because you have the source)

> Depending on how the debugging goes, I'll probably ask some more specific
> questions about the exceptions I'm seeing.  The first problem was pretty
> straightforward, and is successfully fixed, so that's an encouraging
> start!

I think you should ask these questions on the developer list.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl