[Wine]wine-20040914

richard richard.bown at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 14:43:49 CDT 2004

John Wildberger wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:17 am, you wrote:
>

>>Ok I think you have missed the point.
>>
>>BTW the best shaped wheel is circular, the square ones are great for
>>stopping vehicles rolling down hill, but a real bugger for getting uphill,
>>and hard work on the flat. ;)
>>
>>Richard
>
> Thanks Richard,
> I am not really sure what I missed.
> I appreciate your humor, but currently it is wasted on me. You see, I am not
> really that much interested in making wine to work. I have it working just
> fine using the old and tested rpm variety. I am in the midst of learning a
> little bit of the GNU tools like automake,autoconfig. I don't know if you
> ever tried to work through this mess. If so, you might be more sympathetic to
> my struggle. It just bugs the hell out of me to read very explicit
> instructions on how to do things, but following such instructions fail due to
> some little quirks the author has ommitted to include.
> BTW, Have you ever tried to install wine from source? I would like to hear
> your experience version on this.
> John

No Ive never bothered to build from SRC.

Ive learn t from several years experience, that if there is a RPM for the distro your using to use it.
Still some of the main distros use different library locations, and different locations for binaries.
You need to be VERY careful when using tarballs, as you can install files where your system doesn't
like them, I'm forever sorting a friend s machine out where he downloades apps as tarballs,and
either builds or installs, only to overwrite a lib rendering another application useless.

If you want to practice using some of the "gnu tools", try patching and rebuilding a kernel or two.

As I said before ILP's RPM for Mandrake just drops in as sweet as a nut

Richard