[Wine]Wine compile failure while compiling glu32

Gregory L. Harris glharris at panix.com
Tue Aug 16 17:14:19 CDT 2005

> I have been trying to compile wine on my Mac PowerBook
> G3 running Debian, and it continually crashes with the
> following error:

<snip>

> I think I'm missing something, because I can't find
> where __stdcall is ever defined other than in
> include/windef.h.  I have tried playing with windef.h,
> winnt.h, and makefiles all to no avail.  Any
> suggestions?  Thank you.

As far as I know, Wine is not likely to build successfully on a non-x86 platform. See
http://winehq.org/site/docs/wine-faq/index#INTEGRATE-AN-X86-EMULATOR (copied below), which
gives a couple of suggestions, which may or may not be useful.

Greg Harris

quote:

2.5. When will Wine integrate an x86 CPU emulator so we can run Windows applications on
non-x86 machines?

The short answer is 'probably never'. Remember, Wine Is Not a (CPU) Emulator. The long answer
is that we probably don't want or need to integrate one in the traditional sense.

Integrating a CPU emulator in Wine would be extremely hard, due to the large number of Windows
APIs and the complex data types they exchange. It is not uncommon for a Windows API to take
three or more pointers to structures composed of many fields, including pointers to other
complex structures. For each of these we would need a conversion routine to deal with the byte
order and alignment issues. Furthermore, Windows also contains many callback mechanisms that
constitute as many extra places where we would have to handle these conversion issues. Wine
already has to deal with 16 vs. 32 bit APIs and Ansi vs. Unicode APIs which both introduce
significant complexity. Adding support for a CPU emulator inside Wine would introduce at least
double that complexity and only serve to slow down the development of Wine.

Fortunately another solution exists to run Windows applications on non-x86 platforms: run both
Wine and the application inside the CPU emulator. As long as the emulator provides a standard
Unix environment, Wine should only need minimal modifications. What performance you lose due
to Wine running inside the emulator rather than natively, you gain in complexity inside of
Wine. Furthermore, if the emulator is fast enough to run Windows applications, Photoshop for
instance, then it should be fast enough to run that same Windows application plus Wine.

Two projects have started along those lines: QEMU, an open-source project, and Dynamite, a
commercial CPU emulator environment from Transitives Technologies.

end quote.