[Wine]MS autoroute express (a.k.a. mappoint or "street and trips")

edoardo comar edolists at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 16 06:54:45 CST 2005

Hi

I attempted to run MS Autoroute Express 2005 on wine 20050211.
(I believe this fantastic product is marketed also under the names
MapPoint and "Street and Trips" depending on market and target).

I had wine setup done by winetools:
basic setup, ie6, arial, ms installer.

i installed the product directly from cd (*)

the installer forced an update on the system (to update its office
components).  this update failed but on installer rstart I was offered
to repair the install and at the end of that the auoroute installer
itself really started and completed succesfully.

the app runs but
1- terribly slowly (a map redraw takes 1-2 mins on my machine, where
under real windows it's sub-second).
2- find place functionality does not work at all:
   - typing into the textfield  nothing happens
   - opening the find dialog, even the uneditable combobox with the list
of countries is empty - so clicking on ok does nothing.

3- toolbar icons are hardly distinguishable because they're dark

these findings match with another user's experience found on winehq app db.
3 is not a problem.

has anyone else tried this?
do any of these problems sound familiar to wine users ?

Edo

(*) I also tried sharing another machine's cd drive on the network and
having that share smb mounted and mapped as a dosdevice from wine.
The result was that the installer on purpose decided to abort because it
detected a network install.