[Wine]General comment s on Wine/WineTools - how does a new user setup Wine the very first time?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:34:28 CST 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 19:36:35 +0100, Joachim von Thadden <thadden at web.de> wrote:
> Am Do, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:50:25 -0800 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > 1) If I have a user's account that has never run Wine before then what
> > is the proper way to run Wine the very first time. Assume that the
> > user has no .wine directory and that Wine was just built in some
> > subdirectory from source. I've been using one of the following 3
> > commands to get the .wine directory built:
>
> When you build wine on yourself I think there is no default config
> created when you type wine, but I'm not sure, because I always use and
> recommend the prebuild variants from winehq.

This is true for newer versions of Wine that we should concentrate on.
I am using source code since I have a custom kernel. I'm not that
knowledgable about this part of Linux but it is my understanding that
when you are not using the Fedora supplied kernel that it's best to
build from source. Other people here have suggested it's better to
build from source anyway. I don't know so I (try) to do what I'm told.

What *version* of Wine are you using now? 1201? 1019? Something else?

> If you use them you can
> type one of the commands. Wine creates the .wine when it does not exist.
> If you use WineTools you will get a suitable config by executing the
> "Base setup" no matter whether you have an existing .wine directory. I
> recommend that way.

OK, I tried WineTools this morning with self-compiled wine-20041201 in
my account. I erased the existing .wine and winetools directories. I
started with WineTools from the command line. There was no .wine
directory. WineTools is the first running of Wine in this situation.
In this case all of Base setup worked.

> > 2) WineTools won't install IE6 so far no matter what I try. It always
> > hangs somewhere in the middle of downloading or installing IE6.
> > However, outside of WineTools I can execute the same IE6 setup program
> > and it works correctly. I fear it has somethign to do with the two
> > commands that WineTools requires for setting up links where the second
> > command didn't work for me.

Today IE6 setup worked by running WineTools without any previous wine
setup. (Or it just liked running today.)

> Sounds interesting. Did you go through the whole "Base setup"?

Today, yes. Before, no since IE6 setup is part of base setup.

> This is
> extremely important. If you don't the install will fail! You MUST create
> a new fake drive with WineTools, install Arial and dcom98 before you
> continue with IE6.

Yep - that's what I was doing before.

> > and I can try again from scratch. If there are any other hidden
> > directories or files that need to be set up or removed before I retry,
> > please let me know. All I see today are the .wine directory and a
> > winetools log file.
>
> WineTools cares for all of that. The right way is just to go through the
> whole "Base setup". But I don't know exactly how it works with
> selfcompiles versions. Try a prebuild binary from winehq, please.

Appears that self compiled is fine. (At least so far.)

Now, I want to head toward trying to install Autocad 2005. What other
portion of WineTools do you think I should install before trying that?

Thanks,
Mark