[Wine]clobbered config file

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Mon Jan 17 03:01:29 CST 2005

Am So, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:04:14 -0600 schrieb John McKee:
> I downloaded winetools-210 and started over.  I did base install, fonts,
> dcom, and ie.  IE still does not work.  Just kicks out a number of complaints
> and drops into wine debug.  Attached is the output from attempting to run

I can not see the problem. Try it again. Sometimes people tell that you
have to wait a little time after installing DCOM before you continue
with IE6 setup. I am considering inserting a delay.

Do you use wine-20041019? This version is best tested with WineTools.
2005-versions are not tested yet.

> The application taht appeared to work is TrueWeather, which I downloaded from
> www.wibw.com.  I'm not sure that it actually works correctly yet, because it
> wants tyo minimize to the system tray.  But, it doesn't.  Consequently, it
> takes up about 2 by 1 inces of the screen.  I haven't tried reloading it yet.

Can't find it there.

> Also, when winetools does the install of IE, where does it store the
> downloaded files?  When I ran winetools 210, it just went back online to
> download ie again.  I didn't know where to tell it to look for the files that
> setup had downloaded.

It downloads only what it had not downloaded yet. After finishing the
installer WineTools asks you if you want to save the already downloaded
files for later. But you have to wait until wt asks for that. They are
stored in ~/winetools as all other downloaded programs.

> I was impressed with how winetools handled an error.  During the download,
> boxes popped up several times complaining that the wineserver was still
> running.  At one point, the download process just completely stopped.  I
> closed the terminal window from which I had started wt, and opened another

Don't close the terminal. If you want to stop the installer, close the
installer, not the program that starts the installer. After that the
continuation of the process is likely to fail. Also your already
donwloaded files are lost and you have to begin with everything all
over again. You have to start with the Base setup again. Sorry, but IE6
is a very strange program...

The most important tip I can give you is:

BE PATIENT! DON'T ABORT BEFORE YOU WAITED A LONG TIME WITHOUT ANY CHANGES!

Sometimes installers may hang for 10 minutes before they continue their
work. Don't stop WineTools, stop the installer and wait until WineTools
finishes its work.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"