[Wine]err:win:CreateWindowExA bad class name "RichEdit 20A"

zoe at purdue.edu zoe at purdue.edu
Tue Jan 18 16:10:37 CST 2005

Hello,
I'm hoping that this is an appropriate place to ask for technical assistance?
If it isn't, let me know and I'll get lost :p
I'm currently running FC3 on a Pentium II, and am almost completely satisfied
with just linux, except that my Colllins spanish/english dictionary requires
windows.  At the moment I have a dual boot with Win 98 SE, and have to restart
if I want to use the dictionary.
I've installed the software from windows (atempting to run the installer using
wine resulted in a 'windows' error dialog saying that my processor was somehow
insuffiecent) and it works fine.  After mounting my windows partition and
typing:

# wine Collins.exe

I am greeted by the program's splash-screen, followed by these errors:

err:win:CreateWindowExA bad class name "RichEdit 20A"
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000a), Starting debugger...
Can't attach process 8:errors

or sometimes only by the first line:

err:win:CreateWindowExA bad class name "RichEdit 20A"

This is totally over my head; my intuition tells me it has something to do
with my config file, which I'm sure is a disaster.  I have almost zero windows
background, although I sort of know my way around linux.

Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

thanks,
-Zoe