[Wine]ALSA and MIDI

Ian Goldby ian.goldby at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 10:21:17 CDT 2005

Andrew Ramage wrote:
> You are missing a sound font.  I know I need one for NoteWorthy
> Composer, but I keep forgetting to reinstall it after I have installed a
> new version of Linux.  You Might try TiMidity++
> (http://timidity.sourceforge.net/)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that can't be it. I can
play MIDI from within Linux using ALSA. The synth is an external
device connected to the serial port, so neither sound fonts nor
TiMidity come into it. My problem is finding out how to route MIDI in
a Windows application through to the (working) ALSA MIDI devices.

If it makes any difference, I'm using Wine-20050628, which is the
version that makes use of the registry and winecfg instead of the
config file. Although under the Audio tab I've got ALSA selected for
the Audio driver, in the registry it still says wineoss.drv under
HKLM\Software\Wine\Wine\Config\WinMM\Drivers. I changed it to
winealsa.drv, but next time I loaded regedit it had reverted to
wineoss.drv. I can't find the file that has this key - it's not any of
system.reg, user,reg, or userdef.reg.

Any ideas?