[Wine]Do I need to defile my machine, or is there a simple work-around

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Jul 14 09:30:06 CDT 2005

    David> I am trying to install Microchip's MPLab package (a set of tools
    David> for working with PIC microcontrollers) with the latest Wine from
    David> CVS (at least, latest as of yesterday morning).

    David> I've been running Wine for a while, so I already have an existing
    David> Wine registry. I don't have a Windows install on the machine.

    David> The installer (InstallShield) unpacks, runs, and then pops up a
    David> dialog "Internet Explorer 5 or later must be installed". When the
    David> dialog is acknowledged, the installer exits.

    David> I'm wondering - do I need to defile my machine with IE5, or is
    David> this just a matter of missing registry entries for DLLs that Wine
    David> provides?

    David> I noticed that there is no longer a default registry file in the
    David> Wine source tree to be installed when Wine is set up - so the
    David> question in my mind is "How are the initial registry entries set
    David> up now?"

    David> For those interested - MPLab is a free download:

    David> http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MP720_Full.zip

The readme file in
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ReadmeMP720.zip
tells in "Readme for MPAB IDE.txt"
3. Minimum Required Configuration

The following minimum configuration is required to run MPLAB IDE:

* PC-compatible Pentium(R)-class system
* Supported Windows operating system (see section 2)
* 32 MB memory (128 MB recommended)
* 95 MB of hard disk space
* Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater for installation and on-line Help

I had that problem with Atmel AVR-Studio too. So I installed winetools,
wine-20041019, ie and the avrstudio.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de