[Wine]WinNY and Wine

Shadi Khasawneh Shadi.Khasawneh at eitny.com
Thu Jul 14 12:22:11 CDT 2005

Isaac,

You can login as root, and then switch to a another user (with su) before
running wine (workaround over your KDE issue).

Running programs with non-root users is a SECURITY precaution (a _big_
_really_big_ one) -- but it should NOT affect program functionality (in
general); Few programs might require root privileges to start though - such
as accessing ports less than 1024...

About your WINE problem: did you try using a newer version of WINE?
Sometimes it helps and sometimes (MORE) it does NOT :)

Best wishes,

Shadi

                      Isaac Rabicoff
                      <irabicoff at kc.rr.        To:       wine-users at winehq.org
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [Wine]WinNY and Wine
                      wine-users-admin@
                      winehq.org

                      07/14/2005 12:43
                      PM

Tom,

I truly appreciate your comprehensive explanation, only a fraction of
which I was already aware.  I have been convinced to not use superuser
to login.  However, when I started up kde as a user (after adding the
'echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc' command), it just hanged on the
splash screen as it was trying to load peripherals.  I believe this is
because I'm unable to access everything that I installed as root, and
I'm not sure how I would gain access to this.

I realize this isn't directly a wine-related problem, but it will be
necessary for me to overcome this before I can attempt to run wine
without logging in as root.

Thanks,
Isaac (I'll stick with my real name ;) )

Tom Cavin wrote:

> [...]
>designed for.
>
>The operating system doesn't care if the command to format the system disk
>came from a command line of a logged in sys-admin who is wiping the disk
>before disposal, or from an email virus automatically executed by Outlook
>Express.  If the process issuing the format command has sufficient
>privileges to wipe the disk ... it's history.
>
>That's an extreme example, but there are many lesser issues that can cause
>more subtle damage.  Programs that are designed to be run by
>non-privileged users may normally probe parts of the file system in order
>to find a place to store temporary files.  This probe can be as simple as
>checking for read permissions, and a failed check causes the program to
>look elsewhere for temporary file space.  A user program may try to store
>information in the current directory, and if it can't write there it will
>switch to a user's home directory.  If you run such a program as
superuser,
>the permissions check always succeeds, so you may end up writing files
>anywhere on your system.
>
>in the case of Wine, this is a particularly serious issue.  Wine is
>designed to run programs that were written for a different OS.  Regardless
>of anyone's opinion of the innate reliability of such code, running _any_
>program in Wine is running it in a foreign environment that has different
>rules than the program expects.
>
>As an analogy, consider average drivers in their home country.  They
>generally follow the rules of the road and know which side of the road to
>drive on.  If you take those drivers to another country where the rules
are
>different, but you keep them on a restricted test track with no other
>drivers, things can work reasonably well.  If you put those same drivers
in
>police cars with the sirens on and the lights flashing, in the middle of a
>densely populated foreign city where they don't know the language or the
>rules of the road, you are likely to have problems.  If you replace those
>foreign human drivers with robots hard-coded to drive on the "wrong" side
>of the street, the odds get even worse.
>
>In my mind, that analogy is very close to what you do when you run Wine as
>superuser.
>
>There is one difference though.  If you do this on your own machine you
are
>only likely to hurt yourself.  It might be interesting to see what
happens,
>and it could even be a good learning experience.
>
>But please don't do this on any system you (or anyone else) depends on.
>
>Best Wishes,
>
>     --Tom
>
>Isaac Rabicoff writes:
> > Usurp,
> >
> > I appreciate your response.  If possible, however, I would like for you
> > go into greater detail as to why I shouldn't run wine as root.
Actually, I