[Wine] Noise Ninja 2.10 vs. wine-0.9

Kovács István kofa at alarmix.net
Sat Nov 5 16:09:32 CST 2005

Hi All,

I've been using NoiseNinja 2.10
(http://www.picturecode.com/nn_standalone.htm) on Linux (Debian
unstable, kernel 2.6.11) using wine. It used to work fine, then Debian
updated their packages, and wine broke (that's the price I pay for using
Debian unstable, I guess). I then found out packages were also available
from winehq.org. I've added them to my system as described here:
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

All was fine for some time. A few days ago a new version came, and Noise
Ninja no longer works. I've deleted my .wine directory and had wine
re-create it, then I re-installed Noise Ninja. The installer worked, the
program did not. I installed another Windows app that I used to run with
my old installation (LTSpice,
http://ltspice.linear.com/software/swcadiii.exe): both installer and app
worked fine, so wine is basically OK.

I don't know what else to do now, I've read the FAQ and adjusted Windows
emulation settings as suggested there, to no avail. Also, tried running
the program with 'Windows-like' path (C:\Program Files...) and by
changing to the EXE file's directory and running it there with wine
NoiseNinja.exe.

Is this time to raise a bug report? I'm a software guy myself (though
not C, so won't be able to debug and fix this), so I know how annoying
unjustified bug reports are.

Since the provided Debian packages don't contain bug_report.pl, I've
downloaded the source and tried running the utility from there. It
complained about my version of the wine binary being a stripped one,
with no debug symbols. Is there a debug-enabled packaged version
available, or do I have to compile it myself? If the latter, will the
apt-get build-dep wine ; apt-get --build source wine
method give me a non-stripped version?

Thanks in advance,
Kofa