[Wine] do I have to worry if executing an exe that may contain a virus under Wine?

Walt Ogburn reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:29:10 CST 2005

Hi Peter,

I think there are two different answers:

In principle, an executable that you run as a user under Wine can do
anything that a malicious Linux executable could do.  So it could
potentially mess up your user's account.  There's no special protection
from malicious programs that comes from running under Wine.

However, a Windows virus or other malicious program that doesn't know
anything about Wine or Linux isn't very likely to do that.  Any harmful
effects will probably be limited to your fake Windows directory, and a lot
of things that a virus might try to do won't work at all.

- Walter