[Wine] Re: Problem with wine 0.9.1 debian packages (debian sarge)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Nov 11 16:03:04 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 19:26 +0100, Jonas Freienhofer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the wine 0.9.1 .deb-packages on debian sarge.
> Every time I try to start an application with wine I get an error that
> libXxf86dga.so.1 can't be opened.
> I searched that file but it doesn't exist on my system.
> With the preview 0.9.0 version I didn't had this problem. I searched
> google but didn't find any solutions.
> I also searched on debian.org for the file and found it in unstable and
> testing but not in stable, so I think theres something wrong with the
> debian packages for sarge on winehq.org cause in sarge there isn't such a
> file (libXxf86dga.so).

Well, there it is, proof I finally broke things on Debian sarge.  I
guess I couldn't expect packages built on the latest Ubuntu to work
forever with older versions of Debian and Ubuntu - I suspect Hoary and
Sarge are both broken now.

Frankly, I don't have the resources to maintain the packages and
properly backport them to Debian stable or Ubuntu Hoary at the moment,
and I suspect that this will get increasingly hard as sarge gets more
and more archaic.  For now, I guess all I can do is say that they are
for Debian testing (where they should work still) and the latest Ubuntu.

> Sorry for my bad english, and sorry if it was wrong to tell this problem
> to you, but I didn't know where else I should mention it.
>
> Here the exact error message:
> err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"winex11.drv": libXxf86dga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!
> err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"winex11.drv": libXxf86dga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: Datei
> oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
> Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
> Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
> fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "WinISO" of other process window
> (nil) should not use SendMessage
>

> Yours sincerely,
> Jonas Freienhofer

Thank you for pointing this out Jonas.