SV: [Wine] VFP6 runtime app. in wine

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Nov 28 07:46:28 CST 2005

... in case you're looking for an
> intermediate solution, too:
>
>  apt-get install msttcorefonts
>
> MS provided these fonts for free some time ago and as far as I
> understand it's legal to install them on Linux without having to own a
> Windows license for the linux machine.

Thanks for that. In fact I did use that and they look lovely, but would
prefer without.
>     I tried running a Vfp9 app on Kanotix 2005-3 and WINE 0.9
> successfully using the default WINE configuration and the mentioned
> msttcorefonts. It worked using the Live-CD as well as installed on my
> hard disk.

Isn't Kanotix just GREAT?? I use it too and love it!
>     However the WAIT WINDOWs and ToolTips don't work properly. There
is
> a patch for this bug but it breaks some MS installer functionality and
> if you switch tasks sometimes the ToolTip stays on top. If you really
> need this fixed the only chance is to get WINE source, apply the patch
> and compile it yourself.

That's right, I assume you're referring to the advice in Paul McNett's
excellent, but by now rather old white paper. Having tried with the
default 0.9.1 from deb I uninstalled and compiled my own from cvs,
trying to apply the patch. Unfortunately the code in winpos.c has
changed, so Paul McNett's patch no longer works. Actually I wrote to
him, and he said that the patch intended for a different bug which froze
VFP, and wasn't needed any more. However, my experience is that the
empty windowswait boxes and the truncated tooltips still exist.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to fix the file manually or write a new
patch based on his old one. I might look into it if I have more time.

Are you seeing ugly black boxes around radio buttons, and broken listbox
graphics if the text is longer than the available space? I'm wondering
if swapping around a few dll's might fix some of that. What is your
experience with builtin and native dll's in with VFP?