[Wine] Re: Re-proposal: web forums

Tom Spear (Dustin Booker, Dustin Navea) speeddymon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 12:32:09 CDT 2006

Molle Bestefich wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
>
>> Actually, "sticky" posts are ones that don't or can't get deleted
>>

> Aha.  So people usually delete posts from bulletin boards after some time?
> Who decides what gets deleted, an administrator or the postee, time, or?...
>
> That's a feature that would be very hard to implement as a web
> interface on top of a mailing list.  Would you deem it as important?

No, its not that they get deleted, but under a category, with time the
posts that aren't sticky are at the bottom of the pile (page 300 of
1000, etc)..  Posts that are made sticky stay at the very top.
>> How about the ability to post/read/respond to messages even when you're
>> not at your own computer?  Many people on Yahoo Groups, for instance,
>> don't even have a computer at home and access their groups from works or
>> library computers.  To my mind, this is probably the most important
>> advantage a forum has over an email list.
>>

> Great.  I could implement that in a web interface on top of a mailing
> list Really-Really-Fast (tm)
Sarcasm aside, I agree that it would be nice to not have to go to the
web interface of gmail to check the mailing list from work..  And dont
even get me started on using VNC to remote login to my computer so I can
use Thunderbird (yes i do that too from work sometimes)...