[Wine] Softphone - InstallShield Setup.exe hang

Mitsuho Iizuka m-iizuka at cp.jp.nec.com
Mon Jan 16 00:10:15 CST 2006

Hi,

From: Liam Kurmos <quantum_liam at yahoo.co.jp>
Subject: Re: [Wine] Softphone - InstallShield Setup.exe hang
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:16:18 +0000

> can you post the output from wine. I doubt I will be able to help but if
> your lucky someone may know something about it.

No. The output(USB audio driver can not be installed error) came from
Setup.exe other than Wine. And I have already given up. I need to
study Wine more. There are at least 2 big problems in Wine.

  First, InstallShield hang up problem is very common. In fact hanging
up problem was solved by MS dcom98 though, the target application need
WinXP, at least Win2K. There might be some OS mis-match problem between
the instalation and execution.

  Second, the target application in setup phase need USB Audio driver
installation. Wine does not seem  to support user USB (Audio) driver.

> This is Cisco softphone?
> I don't suppose you could just use skype? :)

No. It comes from *EC :).

> It sounds like an important app in the corporate world.

Yes. At least I don't have telephone during FC4 occupying PC now.

> 1. export the registry in windows to a text file (preferably a clean
> install of windows)
> 2. install the app.
> 3. export the registry again.
> 4. make a diff of the two files
> 5. import the new keys from the diff file into the wine reg, copy all
> the files to wine and run.

Cool! But it's a little bit late, I did it manually.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

// M. Iizuka m-iizuka at cp.jp.nec.com