[Wine] Failure to install ComfyWare

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Jan 30 23:38:31 CST 2006

xyzzy wrote:
> The preferred way of running the install is to run an application called
> "start.exe" on the CD.  This failed strangely.
>
> $ wine /media/cdrecorder1/start.exe
> Start a program, or open a document in the program normally used for files
> with that suffix.
> Usage:
> start [options] program_filename [...]
> start.exe version 0.2 Copyright (C) 2003, Dan Kegel

Sorry 'bout that.  It looks like many people are starting to run into
this.  What happened is, win9X had an app called "start.exe",
so I added one to Wine.  WinXP made that a cmd.exe builtin command,
though, and got rid of the standalone start.exe.  Now apps
are starting to depend on windows not supplying a start.exe.

You can probably work around that by removing start.exe from
c:\windows\command.   One of these days we'll figure out
how to do that right.

Sorry, I can't help with the rest of your problem, but at least
I shed some light on the mysterious start.exe failure.
- Dan