[Wine] Re: Wine is very slow

Jeremy White jwhite at winehq.org
Mon May 1 16:49:56 CDT 2006

>>>I know that I, for one, would have been Very Pissed Off if my real
>>>email address got exposed here without my consent, and I suspect that
>>>I'm in the majority, here, so it's probably a Really Bad Idea to
>>>crosspost mailing lists to newsgroups without the knowledge and
>>>consent of the people who think they're posting only to the mailing
>>>list.
>

> I am one of those that are "Very Pissed Off".

I'll address this, as I'm the person who made the change.

Historically, wine-users and the newsgroup were always linked;
in fact, the disconnect is a long standing 'bug'.
(The newsgroups is actually the original Wine community;
it's the hoary old veteran, and the mailing list is the
brash young upstart, as it were :-/).

I apologize if you came to depend on the disconnect,
and if it causes you unwanted spam grief.

However, I am very persuaded that this change has
been for the overall good of the Wine community, so
I'm not willing to break it and disconnect them again.

We rely on Mailman to do this cross post; I have no idea
if they make an attempt to obfuscate the emails at
all prior to sending them on to the newsgroups.  I do
know that most responsible web sites that display newsgroups
to perform this obfuscaition (notably Google, who is
our primary link point).  We'll happily adopt any email obfuscation
that Mailman adds as a feature (or has now that I'm not aware of).

I'll also ask Jeremy Newman to make it clear to anyone
subscribing to the mailing list that it will be cross linked
to the newsgroup, so folks can perhaps be more selective
in which email they use to sign up with.

Cheers,

Jeremy