[Wine] explorer.exe 100% CPU, again

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Fri Feb 16 01:18:38 CST 2007

Thursday February 15 2007 10:01、Flying さんは書きました:
> Thanks, Rahyen. Here are my answers:
> >	First, you said some time ago that this problem has
> been solved. It
> > was really solved and everything worked for some
> time and then broke again
> > or you simply didn't pay enough attention for
> checking this and you don't
> > know?
> I thought it was solved, since right after I rebuilt
> wine (0.9.27 back then), it seemed that the
> explorer.exe problem went away. (I replied to that
> thread on that time.)
> But after a few days of usage, I found that the
> explorer.exe kept surfacing again and again (i.e., I
> don't what happened, but the problem went away only
> for that time when I tested wine after I built it from
> source.)
> Ever since then, the problem persists even I've been
> upgrading Wine from source for a few times already. (I
> always "make uninstall" the previous version before I
> "configure && make dep && make && make install" the
> new one.)
> > I assume that you don't know how to profile Wine so
> here is
> > the instructions:
> Thanks for your instructions. It did save me a lot of
> time digging around. Unfortunately, though, the
> callgrind.out.pid file I get from your instruction is
> always empty. I'm still trying to go through
> KCachegrind's documentation. But for the meantime, I
> cannot provide you any more information on what
> function consumes all those CPU power.
> Thanks again for your advice. But is there anything
> else that I can do now? (For the meantime, I'll
> continue reading KCachegrind's docs to make it work at least...)

	I did test this and everything works for me. But it doesn't work for some 
programs including some cases when I try to run Wine with many games for 
example (it produce empty file). If callgrind doesn't work then you should 
use more complex way. I don't know exactly why it doesn't work sometimes but 
using OProfile instead should solve this problem (or as a workaround you can 
try to run wine with some other programs under callgrind to see if it helps 
but there is no guarantee). Go to http://oprofile.sf.net to read more. After 
using it you can use this command:

opreport -gdf | op2callgrind

	To convert to format that kcachegrind can understand. See "Chapter 2. Using 
KCachegrind" section about OProfile in the KCacheGrind help for more 
	I understand, profiling may seems to you as a somewhat tricky thing at first 
glance but actually it isn't very hard after you learn how to do it in a 
right way.

More information about the wine-users mailing list