[Wine] Re: IE6 SP1 with wine 0.9.19

jhansonxi at gmail.com jhansonxi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:46:17 CDT 2007

dank wrote:
> demiourgos at gmail.com wrote:
> > I tried nearly everything I could and still was not able to get IE
> > working with wine 0.9.19.
> > Manual install using App DB, winetools, ies4linux, etc... everything
> > fails, with different problems and error messages of course.
> >
> > It's really frustrating. Is there a way to install IE that actually
> > works ?
>
> Not that I know of.  ies4linux seems like the best bet for the moment,
> but I haven't tried it.   Wine is adding its own implementation of IE
> but it's not quite finished; the problem is that Wine's IE and native
> IE
> kind of interfere with each other.  It's quite frustrating.  Sorry...
> - Dan
I hope you realize that when Wine supports IE perfectly, it will also
support IE based malware.  I used to think that having IE running in
Wine was a good idea too but then I realized that this would bring on
the types of problems that caused me to leave M$ in the first place.
It is much safer to use IE with Win98SE or XP in a virtual PC like QEMU
or VMWare.  That way if it gets hacked you just delete the virtual
volume and copy over a clean one from a backup.  It's the way IE was
meant to be operated - CONTAINED.