[Wine] Re: Virtual Pool Hall installation help needed - update

Fretzel joeblow at corn.com
Mon Mar 19 00:50:37 CDT 2007

Fretzel wrote:
> Darren Wilkinson wrote:
>> Fretzel wrote:
>>> Here is the location to download this game.
>>> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/BGAudio/VPHDownload.htm
>>>
>>> Problem is the included vph.reg file which modifies the registry to
>>> disable CD check on a real Windows installation will not work on
>>> Wine's fake drive_c Windows installation.
>>>
>>> I know this works in real Windows because I have tried it myself.
>>>
>>> If anyone can find a way to make this work I would appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> The easiest thing would probably be to open the vph.reg file in
>> openoffice or something similar and use wines own regedit to put them
>> in by hand.
>>
>> Just remember not to type in the quotation marks.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately getting this info into the registry
> is not where the problem lies. There is something odd about the way the
> game expects hard drive C: and Windows to be to be physically located in
> the machine... and Wine's fake drive_c drive just doesn't work.
> I have only been able to get this game and its registry hack to work on
> computers with Windows installed on the boot drive. I have not been able
> to get it to work if anything about the location of Windows is
> changed... e.g. I have tried on computers where the Windows OS and C:
> drive is installed on a different physical drive to the boot drive. And
> also on an intel iMac with a bootcamp Windows installation. Neither of
> these situations work. It will only work with Windows installed to a
> single physical drive C:.
> I was hoping someone would be able to work out why the game behaves this
> way and maybe suggest a different registry key modification which would
> get around this problem and allow the game to run without CD check.

Thanks to help from Killertux_ in IRC. We have discovered that the game
will get past the CD missing error if the game directory and contents is
copied to E: drive (drive_e directory). But now the game is crashing
with some D3D and X11 display errors.
Here is what I get in terminal from "wine VPhall.exe"

fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMem (0x184130) : stub,
simulating 64MB for now, returning 64MB left
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x172470)->(0x20024,00000013)
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found!
(NoRes)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateAdditionalSwapChain The app requests
more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please
configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if
possible
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found!
(NoRes)
err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState Multisample antialiasing not
supported by gl
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found!
(NoRes)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateAdditionalSwapChain The app requests
more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please
configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if
possible
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found!
(NoRes)
err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetRenderState Multisample antialiasing not
supported by gl
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x172470)->((nil),00000008)
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DStateBlockImpl_Release Releasing primary stateblock

Then the game just exits and returns me to the terminal window. What do
I do now?