[Wine] Re: Uninstall Adobe Acrobat 7.0

G.S. Link gslink at onenospam.net
Mon Mar 19 00:50:51 CDT 2007

glgxg wrote:
> Installed a 30 day trial of Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and I'm now trying to
> "properly" uninstall.
>
> I run "uninstaller" and the program shows up in the list of installed
> programs. In Uninstaller: click on the program description to highlight
> it and then clicking the Uninstall tab causes the hard drive to wobble
> about a bit, the program becomes un-highlighted and the uninstaller
> program returns to it's startup state.
>
> Any ideas on why this uninstall is not working?
>
> I know that I can simply delete the installation directory:
> $ /home/username/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/Adobe
> but I like to uninstall properly.
>
> Note: I never was able to get it to run even though it runs just fine
> under Windows 2KPro.
>
> System:
>
> Linux version Ubuntu Dapper 6.061 LTS / Kernel 2.6.15-27-386
> GNOME version: 2.14.3 - Ubuntu (2006-07-31)
> GCC version: 4.0.3 - i486-linux-gnu
> Xorg verson: 7.0.0

The reason this does not work under Wine is that the program uses some
rather exotic features of Windows that are not in Wine.  Most, and I
repeat most, of the program will run if you supply the missing routines
from Windows.  I run only 6 and do not bother with 7 as it has an
anti-use license.  To remove it just delete.  Under Wine you know, or
should know, that there are no strange files written in /var for you to
not find.