[Wine] Re: Installshield and Wine

Duane Clark junkmail at junkmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:51:03 CDT 2007

Marco Trapanese wrote:

> Well, I copied the program folder from a working windows installation to the
> hidden wine folder. Now, the splash screen does not disappear but it hangs.
> I get this in the terminal:

That generally isn't a good idea, because the installer does other
things like make registry entries, that don't get done when you copy
over a folder.

Looking here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2709
I see that mplab apparently works. But supposedly, "it's important that
in the winecfg application menu both IE6 and MPLAB are set to Windows98".

So probably the thing to do is to go to:
http://www.tatanka.com.br/
Get ies4linux, and run it and allow it to install IE6. It will also
create a new Wine directory structure, under ~/.ies4linux. It will have
not affect on your current stuff under ~/.wine.

Now, if this is the only Wine application you are interested in, just
permanently set the environment variable:
export WINEPREFIX="/home/marco/.ies4linux/ie6"
Of course change "marco" to whatever your home directory is. You can set
this permanently in your ~/.bashrc file.

Now run the mplab installer. It should be installed into the
.ies4linux/ie6/drive_c/ directory. Now try running the mplab in that
directory, and with any luck, it will run.